Friday, May 28, 2010

Student Goals and their Limits

A couple weeks ago, I got this email from Beth White as SSD:


Hello- In trying to get my caseload set for next year, I started erasing old goals and adding new ones. However, I realized the teacher that is seeing that student NOW still needs those old goals in there because she hasn't billed for them yet. I didn't realize that it's all ONE thing. I thought that under my log on name was what I controlled and what was under someone else's log on name they had what they set up. Apparently that's not the case. I forgot what student it was, but I deleted all OT goals because I thought it was just extra stuff that I didn't need, but now the OT is going to wonder what happend to all her goals... In the future could we make it separate? Am I explaining this correctly? Thanks 


Unfortunately, this isn't the first time we've seen something like this.  But we can't exactly make them separate for different therapists, because those goals are part of the IEP, which belongs to the student.  However, given how frequently we've been confronted with this issue, we've decided to try tackling it in a sensible way.  As of today, here's how goals work:


- goals can now be categorized as "PT, OT, ST, or ALL". 


- If you are a PT, than you will see all student goals for your kiddos that are categorized as "PT" or "ALL".  Same for the other disciplines.


- If there are goals in the list that you don't think belong to you, just set them to the category you think they belong to, and they won't show up in your list anymore (either when looking at the students goals or when scheduling services).


Now, we aren't sure yet if this is going to create any issues, which is why it's something of an experiment.  If this works out, great!  If not, we'll roll it back and try something else.  



No comments:

Post a Comment