Monday, October 19, 2009

Human-Friendly Reports

A very good point was brought up this week by a collection of our users at Special School District: most humans don't think like computers. 

When a computer wants to select data between two dates, it must choose a time down to the second to compare the selection to; usually this is midnight.  So if you ask a computer to find all the things that happened between January 1st and January 31st, it will give you a list of everything from 12:00 AM on the first to 12:00 AM on the 31st.  Of course, for a human this might not make sense.  When a human wants information about January, they'll say "I want to know about everything from the 1st to the 31st", and they'll actually want to see the things that happened on the last day of January too!

Well, as a programmer, I'll admit I usually think more like the computer than like other people, so when I wrote the reporting module for Therapylog.com, that's exactly what I did wrong:  I made the date ranges function the way a computer would expect.  Thanks to the feedback from our SSD friends, though, I've changed my ways! 

That's right, all the reports in Therapylog now should be giving you the data the way you'd expect to see it.  That is, if your run a report for Jan-1 to Jan-31, you're going to get everything from January, no question about it.

Thanks to those at SSD who brought this to our attention;  it's your feedback and others like it that keeps making our service better.

~Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment